Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Keep Your Promise Governor! Fund Education!

That was on the sign that I held for 1 hour in front of the Mendocino County courthouse.
Let me preface this by saying that I don't regularly go out and protest anything. I truly believe that the best way for a teacher to teach is in the classroom, and a lot of stuff going on outside of the classroom has little impact on a teaching environment. That said, I decided to join this protest because I think that Ahnold is doing massive harm to an Education system that is already very broken. California could be considered its own country, if not for its uncivilized education funding. So over 200 of us teachers set to the streets (that is quite a lot for this small town) and let the public know that the Governor has failed to meet a promise to fund education. It felt good and it felt right. No one had signs that mentioned pay or benefits for teachers. It all had to do with funding a basic necessity for a modern superpower.
But its over now. Tomorrow I go back to the real job at hand, teaching these little Seniors something about being responsible. Most are having no problem figuring out that I hold them accountable. Some are going to learn the hard way. Regardless, I think it is important to realize that, once again, you can do the most in your classroom. I'm not going to Sacramento to protest or playing ra-ra with CTA reps or preparing to strike if Arnold follows through with Prop 98 cuts. I'm preparing for students. Tomorrow, students will ask me why I was protesting. My answer will be, "Because I'm executing my rights under the 1st Amendment of the Constitution of the United States. I have a grievance against the Governor of California regarding funding for Education." That will be all I will say about it. Students will try to guess my political leanings (as they try to do all year) and I might have to remind them that protesting is not partisan.
Anyway, back to STAR testing block schedules. This week? Stock Market Projects for Intro, Roger and Me for College Prep.
blog comments powered by Disqus