Monday, May 23, 2005

In With the New, Finally

Well, we finally moved into the home. It was far from easy.

Let's start from the beginning.

Thursday- I woke up at about 6:30 in the morning, drove over to the high school, and borrowed my colleagues pick-up truck. For the entire day, I moved stuff over from my apartment to the house. Sounds easy enough. Except that when I tried to move the dining room table away from the wall, I snapped off a table leg. Hmmmmmm. It was my wife's table, maybe she wouldn't be able to identify that table was broken. Then U-Haul called me and stated that the large truck I reserved two weeks ago was not going to be available. I was more than angry and after lengthy debate, they agreed to give me a smaller truck for a reduced price.

Friday- Woke up at about 7 a.m., got the smaller truck, and began to pack our garage. I took one load over and then came back and loaded the rest. My father showed up at about 2 p.m. and helped me unload. Then came the furniture. To say the least, it was heavy. When you add in the stairs that were in my apartment, it became a matter of how little damage we could to the walls and items being carried to the truck. Remember the table from yesterday? Well, the second leg then snapped as we were taking it to the truck. Um, my wife will definiately see that the table is broken. Damn. By the end of today, we pretty much moved everything over, and started the slow process of putting stuff away.

Saturday- When I annouced to my work collegues that I was becoming a new homeowner, they first congratulated me, then they smirked at me. For the last few weeks, the smirks become grins and I realized that they were waiting for the frustration that goes along with home ownership. On Saturday morning, the stark realization of what the grins meant hit me. PG&E came over to turn on the gas and inspect the gas appliances; the waterheater, the stove and the furnance. Did I mention the waterheater? Oh yeah, this water heater was "on demand" and the PG&E man told us it was improperly vented, and therefore illegal. Yes, that would mean no hot water. To make it legal, I would have to install a new vent and cut a bigger hole in my roof. This would mean that I would have to cut and reinstall areas in my roof shingles, deal with a vent cover, etc. So instead we decided to get a whole new, regular water heater. When we pulled off the water heater, the exposed pipes were found to be old and leaking. Wonderful. This whole day, which was supposed to be for unpacking and touch ups on the house, was now a day dealing with plumbing and a new waterheater. We eventually got it done, but the cost was a days worth of unpacking and organization. As a teacher, the day really matters.

Sunday- Unpacked the kitchen during the morning. We have more shelf space, more refridgerator space, but a smaller kitchen, if that makes sense. My wife and I took a break at Noon and went to see Revenge of the Sith. I'll review the movie later. We then headed to Home Depot for a bunch of supplies (mops, fire extinguishers, buckets, cleaners, etc). I spent the evening grading Stock Market projects. I have 135 of them. I got through 100 and then went to sleep.

That leads me to today. I came into class and found an excellent sub report. I then realized that today was part of the Senior trip to Disneyland. Lucky for me, this means that my classes were cut by 3/4 and everything went really smoothly. The problem is that I'm very behind in my grading and I still need to get affairs going at home. Add to that a half dozen retirement parties that I'm supposed to pay for and attend.

I'll come back later with more info. I'll give you an update on "Fred", a review of Revenge of the Sith, Economics Expo reports, and the financial situation regarding my house. If you think that two beginning teachers can afford a $410,000 house in the city of Ukiah, you would be wrong. I'll get into it later, and advocate its use in bringing in more beginning teachers to established jobs.
blog comments powered by Disqus