Tuesday, May 24, 2005

I Guess I'm "It".

Earlier this week, I got "tagged" by Polski. I get to chose any five of these: "If I could be a scientist...If I could be a farmer...If I could be a musician...If I could be a doctor...If I could be a painter...If I could be a gardener...If I could be a missionary...If I could be a chef...If I could be an architect...If I could be a linguist...If I could be a psychologist...If I could be a librarian...If I could be an athlete...If I could be a lawyer...If I could be an inn-keeper...If I could be a professor...If I could be a writer...If I could be a llama-rider...If I could be a bonnie pirate...If I could be an astronaut...If I could be a world famous blogger...If I could be a justice on any one court in the world...If I could be married to any current famous political figure..."

If I could be a gardener....then I would not contract myself out to other people and only focus on my garden at home. Since I recently bought a house (and Sunset's Western Garden Book), I can simply be the horiticultural artists to my abode. I have an interesting task with nice landscaping already in place around a fence, a small lawn, and a large middle area with peat gravel. The ideas are flowing. A vegetable garden is in order, with a large emphisis on herbs. Hopefully I can succeed with my lemon cucumber crop. Trying to grow in a half wine barrel has not been a good venture. I'd also like to build an arbor and plant seedless grapes to grow over the structure. Maybe some winegrapes along the fence? Ideas?

If I could be a chef.......then I would move to South Lake Tahoe and open a Contemporary/Southwest food resturant. Back in Middle School, my best friend and I talked about doing this in the future. We would partner up and head to Tahoe to open the resturant/bar, and ski and camp on our time off. Of course, I didn't know all the business in's and out's, such as employees, laws, insurance, etc. I wouldn't mind moving to Tahoe and running a resturant, even today.

If I could be an athlete......actually, I'll agree with Polski on this one. I already consider myself an athlete. I play basketball with the varsity players a few times a week, I play golf (um, I try to play golf), I play softball, I can do pretty much any sport. However, if I could be an athlete, I would work on bringing respect and honor to whatever sport I was playing. These things are seroiusly lacking in modern athletics today. People pay homage to players that they know nothing about, or worse, act like they are under more scrutiny than some of the groundbreaking legends (John Rocker comparing his trials to Jackie Robinson).

If I could be a professor.....I would teach at a junior college or a small sized college. The reason is that I really don't want to do the research work, I want to teach. I was fortunate that I had some excellent professors that were very concerned with teaching students about pertinent subject matter. I would like to teach a 20th Century Civ class or a Modern American History class or a basic government class. Why not advanced? Because eventually Political Science gets too quantitative, not qualitative. When I was taking my graduate courses on the United States Congress, students were getting into statistical relationships that I found boring and not useful. My "Congressional Influences on Foreign Policy" paper, which was full of excellent qualities, was much better.

If I could be a justice on any one court in the world........I would be a justice on the United States Supreme Court. I find interpreting the Constitution facinating. The current frustrations from Congress regarding the Judiciary Branch making laws is absolutely absurd. I've become a huge fan of court opinions. I know, how wierd. But the simple stories, followed by the judges using precident, and then the setting of the precident, is very interesting.

Ok, I'm done. Now I'm tagging back. I tag Fred, The Science Goddess, and Bud.
blog comments powered by Disqus