Sunday, May 01, 2005

Don't Panic

This warning can be seen as two different tellings. One, "Don't Panic" refers to the slogan located on the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Two, it is the perfect phrase for the upcoming week, which will include STAR testing and my family packing for a move.

First the movie. I read Hitchhikers's Guide a long time ago, then again about 5 years ago, and I still feel that it is one of the greatest books ever written. The writing is interesting, smart and witty. The question was whether or not that spirit was going to show itself on the big screen. The answer is "not really". I enjoyed the movie, that I can say without reservation. But looking at it from a totally neutral point of view is scary. Someone who is unfamiliar with Douglas Adams' dry humor and vocabulary of the Guide universe is going to walk out of this flick. It simply does not work well on the big screen. I would also like to point towards casting Mos Def as Ford Prefect, which doesn't work at all. He has little to no energy in the role! For Ford I envisioned a Tom Baker type character, knowledgeable about the universe, but goofy as hell. Def did not work. However, Martin Freeman was a good Arthur Dent, Alan Rickman's voice is the classic Marvin the Paranoid Android, and Sam Rockwell is outstanding as Zaphod Beeblebrox. In fact, almost all the laughs in the movie come from Rockwell's antics. So, I'd give the books a solid A+. The movie.....C+. It was enjoyable, but I don't need to see it again.

STAR testing is this week AND we are packing to move, so DON'T PANIC! Yeah right. I talked about my feelings on the STAR test earlier and explained my role in it. For a review, all the Seniors will be with Social Science teachers during testing time. So tomorrow, I will get two classes of Seniors for an extra hour in the morning, then again at the usual time. That means a lot of solid planning and being prepared for damage control if other teachers don't go with the written lesson plans. I am very concerned about my Intro classes, who have been told over and over that this is a chance to solidify their grade, and graduation. Of course, some are going to ignore me and pay for it in about a month. And we are moving. Moving has got to be the single most stressful thing in the world. My wife and I are moving to our new house on May 20th. We started to pack now. My wife moves at the speed of a very cautious 65 year old woman, looking through every item thoroughly. I move at the pace of a garbage man on crack. I'm ready to do it college style; throw everything in plastic bags and haul it over. This causes a little stress in our happy household. If you have hints on how to make a move easier, drop me a line.

Thanks to Education Wonk (right side link) for adding me to the Tales of the Trenches. EdWonk has one of the best education oriented blogs around. Go show him some love.

So Long, and Thanks For All the Fish!
blog comments powered by Disqus