Friday, March 25, 2005

Officer Dave says "Move Along"

I'm irritated.

So I got to school today and went through my daily routine. I get to school about 90 minutes early every day because I spend the first 30-45 minutes reading the news. So, I boot up my computer, open the browser to my open page (Drudge Report)...........and Officer Dave comes up?????
For those of you that are unfamiliar with Officer Dave, he is the little man that pops up when you visit a site that has been deemed unacceptable by the school district. The Internet Filtering System is called Bess. It seems that someone at the district has labeled The Drudge Report as an illegal site and listing the reason as "Lingerie". Those of you that know the Drudge Report (click link at right) understand that it is a pretty great source for up to the minute news. So I started the calling around; the tech person, the library staff, the principal, various secretaries...all telling me that it goes through the tech person for the County of Mendocino. I called him at 7:30 this morning. No change and no response.
Hopefully this is a simple mistake. The library stated that the district is looking to deny access to MySpace.com, a personal blog site, and maybe there was a mix-up.

Well, they have one week to fix it, then I really get annoyed. This system has been a pain in the ass. Seniors that do stock portfolios can't access alcohol based web sites (Sierra Nevada, Molson-Coors, Anheuser-Busch) to acquire annual reports. It is getting tedious to deal with.
blog comments powered by Disqus